Oktoberfest | Fredericksburg, Texas

15 October 2015


Oktoberfest conjures images of music, food, and lots of fun. I've always wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Germany, so when I heard there was going to be an Oktoberfest celebration in sleepy Fredericksburg, Texas I was eager to check it out. We arrived at the Oktoberfest grounds just after 10AM. Although early, we started our visit off with - you guessed it - food! The early morning sun was already hot, but that didn't stop us from exploring the rest of the festival. 

It was easy to see Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg was more of a family affair. Children ran around wearing flower crowns, bands played Jimmy Buffett, and there was even a chicken dance. To be honest, I wasn't really sure what we had gotten ourselves into. Fredericksburg has a long history of German culture. The city itself was founded my German emigrants  in the 19th century, and the German-Texas culture embodies every inch of town. However, I realized quickly that Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg was a reflection of Fredericksburg itself. Texan on the outside - German at heart.

We carried our food from tent to tent, listening to German remixes of Texas country, watching people learn how to dance, and even trying a few greasy festival foods. Fredericksburg has a lot to offer, and the city's Oktoberfest was like no other. Do I still want to experience Oktoberfest in Germany? YES. But seeing an American version of this popular celebration was interesting and tame, yet still fun. 


Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg wasn't exactly what I had imagined, but I'm still glad I went!

Happy Thursday!
xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.