A Minibreak in Tewkesbury

29 September 2014


 Located in Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury was the location of one of the most important battles during the Wars of the Roses. The entire town is frozen in 1471, so obviously I found it to be a little haven.

The Battle of Tewkesbury took place on 4 May 1471. Margaret of Anjou led her Lancastrian forces against Edward IV and the Yorkists, ending in her defeat and imprisonment. I won't go into too much detail on the battle in this post as  I also did the Battle Trail hike, so expect more on that to come! Today, Tewkesbury still celebrates the significance of the battle. Businesses and homes fly the banners of the men who fought in the battle, and the entire city is decorated in over a hundred different coats of arms! 

I stayed at the Tudor House Hotel. Located on the high street, the hotel allowed  easy access to all the sites I wanted to see, while simultaneously providing me with the beautiful country inn feel. My room overlooked the Avon, and a Full English Breakfast was included in my stay! Although my room was not located in the original 16th century building, I enjoyed our stay in this historic hotel!

Tewkesbury was a pleasantly surprising find. I was worried I would run out of things to do, but Tewkesbury actually has so much to offer! I would recommend this tiny town to anyone who enjoys a historic trip! The map below marks all our stops on my trip, but expect a post on each to come!

Happy Monday!
xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.