A Big Announcement

10 February 2015

Hello from Houston, Texas!

I have officially moved back to the states!
Sorry to keep everything so hush hush.
I've been careful to not mention the move on any social media platforms until I was ready.
Well, it's been three weeks since the big move and it's probably time to fill y'all in.

The move wasn't exactly planned. 
Or done willingly. 
After an intense four months of applying for every job under the sun,
it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to find work in the UK. 
So two days before my visa expired I took a one way flight back to America.
That was three weeks ago.

To sum up my visa troubles, as a non-EU citizen I was restricted in the type of work I could apply for and salary I could accept. I had a wonderful job at a museum, but it wasn't considered enough for a Tier 2 Visa. So while I worked I continued to apply for jobs that did fit the Tier 2 guidelines. A few interviews later, still nothing. 
I tried.
God knows I tried everything.
But because I wasn't an EU citizen, I really didn't stand a chance. 

I've been back in the states for a few of weeks now.
I was too afraid to say anything because I wasn't willing to accept my situation. 
I was forced to leave the home I built abroad.
Most of my friends don't even know I'm back. 

But now I'm over being sad. 
It's time to move on and begin my life here in America and build a career.

The plan?
Apply. Apply. Apply. 
I feel like I'm starting the whole job application process over again,
which is really frustrating. 
After spending 4 months doing nothing but applying for UK jobs, I hate the fact I have to start all over again in the states.
But I guess that's life.
So right now I'm an unemployed historian living at my parents house until I find work.
Glamorous, right?

As you are reading this, I'm actually on my way to the airport.
I'll be spending the next week back in Bristol for my graduation. 
After that I have no immediate plans to return to the United Kingdom.
A trip or two is in the works for later this year. But moving back isn't an option for me right now.
Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to move back.
But for now I'm putting all my attention into a career that will provide me with the possibilities I so long for. 

What does all this mean for Bristol In My Pocket?
Well, obviously my blog will change.
A new name and design are coming soon, so stay tuned for that!
As for the content, 
except more lifestyle posts and less travel. 
Travel has become an essential part of me and I don't plan on stopping,
but due to my current location and unemployed status, travel will be less frequent.
However, do expect a cheeky little travel post every now an then,
I have so many stocked up from the past year, plus a few trips planned stateside!

Moving back to America has been a huge shock.
But for now I am trying to make this transition work.
I'm happy to come back to family and friends who love me despite my depressed state.
I'm happy to be able to cuddle with my puppy, eat real Mexican food, and watch hours of pointless TV.
But I do miss England.
I miss everything about it.
And I've accepted the fact that IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY RIGHT NOW.
I have that right.
But life will go on eventually and I'll make sure to keep you updated!

xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.