Apple Heritage Day | Somerset

20 October 2013

“What can your eye desire to see, your ear to hear, your mouth to take, your nose to smell, that is not to be had in an orchard, with abundance of variety?” 
(William Lawson, 1618, A New Orchard and Garden)
Common Ground, Orchards: A Guide to Local Conservation (Common Ground: London 1989)


This Saturday I sacrificed sleep to spend the day volunteering at the Quantock Apple Heritage Day in Somerset. Seeing as I hadn't been out of Bristol much since arriving, I figured this was the perfect opportunity to see the English countryside. 

Along with a fellow American in the history department, our job was to record local stories of orchards and  apples. These oral histories will be used by the university to discover lost orchards and preserve the few that survive today. Some people were more than willing to tell stories of orchards they grew up near, while others avoided the American girls carrying the iPads like the plague.


Over 600 people stopped by the first ever Quantock Apple Heritage Day, making it a pleasantly surprising success. I even managed to come back with a bottle of Somerset's finest Chaider (chai + apple cider = Chaider).




Enjoy the rest of National Apple Heritage weekend!
xoxo


7 comments:

  1. Hi Sara just found this blog , Really nice to read about my home town. Glad you're enjoying it.

    Where in Somerset did you go Sara?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I went to Broomfield for this little trip :)

      Delete
  2. Anywhere with Apple Cider is a friend of mine! What a great fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cider is taken VERY seriously here in England. So do as the locals do and try every type of cider possible? Yeah, I'm all about that. Lol

      Delete
  3. What a lovely looking place! I've never been to Bristol but I think my partner Dan wants us to visit when we take a trip home at Christmas. I miss English countryside!

    Kate | Diaries of a Essex Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bristol is amazing! You'll love it if y'all decide to come visit!

      Delete
  4. Wow this is beautiful! I just came across your blog and I'm following via Bloglovin! Cant wait to read more:)

    Brianna
    http://endlesslybeloved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.