Santorini | Greece

08 June 2019


There are some places you have dreamed about visiting since you were a kid. For me, Greece was a place I always wanted to visit but never made any concrete plans to see. To me, Greece was a place JUST out of reach. It was a place where I never had enough time or money to travel to.

As a postgraduate student living in England, Greece was only a few hours away by plane. But like most students, my funds were limited. When I finally got a full time job it was back in the states and it was hard to request more than a few days off at a time, let alone time to account for the 14 hour plane ride there and back again. To me, Greece would forever be on my "places to go" list. A place I wanted to visit so badly but may never get the chance.

And then I became a teacher some years ago now. Trust me when I say, being a teacher is one of the hardest and rewarding jobs out there. I often arrive to my classroom at 6am and finally turn off the lights to leave at 6pm. It's a job that follows you home (there are always papers to grade) and consumes every waking hour.

But as a teacher you are rewarded for your hard work by getting to enjoy the same holidays as the kids. Granted, teachers are required to do summer and winter trainings. Trust me, it's not a 24/7 vacation. BUT for the first time since graduating college I finally have the TIME and the MONEY to visit some of those destinations on my "places to go" list. Destinations that I never actually thought I would be able to go to.

Cue our family vacation to Greece. My parents have always instilled a wandering spirit in my sister and I. From a very young age they took us to places around the world making sure we learned from the cultures we saw along the way. So over Spring Break (yes, that was in March, don't hate me for JUST now posting about this trip. I'm a teacher!) we decided as a family to finally take the leap and visit Greece.

I wrote a short post about our stay in Athens, however as soon as our plane landed on the small runway in Santorini I knew this was going to be a special place. As I sit down to finally write this post I want to make sure I give Santorini the time and dedication needed to truly capture how much the visit meant to me. After all, I am on summer vacation and have the time to write again!



So Santorini. Where do I even begin?

We had the island to ourselves! On average, two million people visit the island of Santorini every year. Between the blue church roofs and the glow of the orange sunset, Santorini is practically a mythical destination that everybody wants to see. But we were there in March and technically March is the the off season. Which means the island was practically empty. Yes, visiting the island during the off season means that it will be a little chilly and yes, not every restaurant is open. But being able to walk down the cobblestone paths and not have to fight the crowds for that "perfect picture" meant I didn't mind at all.

We stayed at Porto Fira Suites, situated in the main town on the island. It put us within perfect walking distance of Fira's town square. The island of Santorini has so many different villages and each one has a unique vibe. We booked a guide to show us the island and some of its unique villages.

Porto Fira Suites




Our guide, Antonia, was fabulous. Having grown up on the island she knew everything there was to know about her home. We started out in Fira but made our way to Imerovigli. We followed the narrow paved paths around the village, getting a feel for the village and it's history. And then the rain came, forcing us to retreat back to the van.

Imerovigli






Our next stop was the village of Oia, and luckily the rain had stopped. When you think of Santorini, those beautiful blue roofed churches and vibrant colors, you are thinking of Oia. Antonia took us through the narrow paths, pointing our traditional homes and local plants. We followed her up and up until we reached a pile of ruins, formally the Castle Oia. Although the building itself has fallen in ruin due to earthquakes and time, the view from the castle is possibly one of the most breathtaking spots on the island. We stood there, enjoying the feeling of the sun on our faces before climbing back down to the main part of the town.

Oia












It is time to address the many, MANY creatures of Santorini. As we climbed down from the castle we were followed (actually more like led, the animals of Santorini like to pretend they are walking YOU) by not one, not two, but three of the friendliest doggos. Along our walk they stopped to bark at the occasional cat sunbathing on a roof or fence. Santorini is full of animals, all of which have an air of island life. They are accustomed to being able to go where they want when they want. I took entirely way too many photos of these Santorini animals.





Now it was time to visit a traditional Santorini village. Many villages on the island of Santorini such as Oia, Fira, and Imerovigli are the only areas explored by tourists due to their picturesque landscape and vibrant colors. However, Antonia brought us to a true hidden gem, the village of Megalochori. Immediately we knew we were surrounded by locals. We spent time examining the architecture of the homes, many of which use foundations dating back to pre-1956 earthquake. The quietness of the village made me feel like the village of Megalochori was truly a Santorini secret. Granted, there is only one hotel in the entire village, but maybe that is for the best so that the village remains in tact with its true traditional roots.

Megalochori




THINGS TO DO IN SANTORINI 
Fira's Hiking Trail
Take a cable car (or a donkey) down to Amoudi Bay
Castle Oia (Byzantine Ruins)
Atlantis Books


PLACES TO EAT
Kokkalo | Fira
Thalami | Oia





Santorini truly is a magical place. This small island off the coast of Greece will now always hold a special place in my heart.

xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.