St. Roch Market | New Orleans

17 February 2016


There are some places I stumble across by accident. There are other places, however, that you must set out on a mission to find. St. Roch Market was a little bit of both.

I first discovered St. Roch Market by accident through Instagram. After drooling over pictures of oysters and gumbo for weeks, I decided I needed to try this place for myself. I set off for what can only be described as a trek through New Orleans. Through the French Quarter, past Frenchmen Street, up Marigny, and across a highway or two sat the beautiful building that held St. Roch Market. 

Originally built as an open air market in 1875, St Roch Market went through several renovations in the 20th century. In 2005 it was left in ruins after Hurricane Katrina, until finally restored in 2015 as an open restaurant market. Today there are 12 different vendors to chose from, all run by local entrepreneurs. From oysters to gumbo to Korean to a full service bar, St Roch Market has everything to fill your cravings. I spent our afternoon sipping on coffee and slowly trying as much food as my stomach would allow. 


St. Roch Market can be reached by foot, but be prepared for a 30 minute stroll through the some backroads and neighborhoods. Don't forget to come hungry. There are so many options to chose from you'll want to try a little bit of everything!

FOOD ABOVE 
Shrimp & Grits, Red Beans & Rice, and Gumbo Sampler | King Creole 

HOURS
Open Daily
7AM - 11AM Limited Breakfast Service
11AM - 9PM Lunch and Dinner
Open until 11PM Saturday & Sunday

xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.