On The Bookshelf | 2016 Part IV

28 December 2016


Like last year, my one and only New Years Resolution for 2016 was book related. In 2015 I challenged myself to 50 books, to which I met with somewhat ease. I lowered the count to 40 this year, knowing full well that 50 would be way too many for my growing schedule. My life slowly got busier and busier, and reading no longer became a realistic priority. By the time I got home from work I was so exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open for a page or two. I found this years reading challenge to be exceptional difficult, which is why I could only finish 34 out of my original 40 books goal. 

Other than time, my biggest problem this year was finding books that I actually wanted to read. I found myself in bookstores for hours this year, often walking out without purchasing anything at all. All the classics I wanted to read I read last year, and this year just didn't seem like a great year for books to begin with. I'm a little disappointed, however 34 books is still a pretty awesome accomplishment! So lets wrap up the last 2016 reading update with the final four books on my list!

Cities I've Never Lived In: Stories | Sara Majka
3/5
A series of stories of being alone, and getting to know others. This book left me confused and dazed. It was hard to figure out how each chapter related to the story as a whole. I felt I was jumping into a new plot with new characters every couple of pages. But throughout these misguided stories you develop a bond with the narrator that leaves you feeling like a friend.

The Bookshop on the Corner | Jenny Colgan
3/5
Nina is a young librarian who finds herself without a job. Determined to make something great out of her life, she sets out on a mission to create her own traveling bookstore. Humor, romance, and a love for books, this book was a cute read from start to finish. 

The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House | Kate Anderson Bower
5/5
The most famous residence in the world can not run on its own. It takes a team of highly skilled and highly secretive people to keep the White House running smoothly. Not only are the staff there to serve, they are there to protect, to honor, and to care for the first family. I could not put this book down! I was devouring these first hand accounts of White House staffers. What they know and what they've seen not only makes me respect the few who get to work in the house, but also provides me with a more humanized version of the first families past and present. 

Scrappy Little Nobody | Anna Kendrick
4/5
I rarely read autobiographies. The last one I truly enjoyed was Amy Poehler's Yes, Please and that was years ago. I was dying to read Anna Kendrick's book for a few reasons, but the most important was because she has always been a celebrity I felt I could relate to. Scrappy Little Nobody is witty, weird, insightful, and even a little dirty. She's the kind of girl who likes to rebel, but is too scared to break any rules. She makes her career from stage to screen seem completely normal. I can respect any girl who locks herself in a hotel room after getting paranoid at a Twilight wrap party.

What were some of your favorite books of 2016??
xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.