Cheddar Gorge

18 November 2014

Cheddar Gorge has been on my list of places to go since I first moved to England. The only reason I hadn't made the trip out to the gorge was it is quite complicated to get to if you don't have a car. Since Elle and I were making a trip to Glastonbury via bus, we decided why not try and get to Cheddar Gorge as well! After waiting around for a bus that supposedly went straight from Glastonbury to Cheddar, we were told by a local that no such bus existed. Awesome. So we took a bus from Glastonbury to Wells, then Wells to Cheddar. Confused yet? We were. Once we made it to Cheddar however, all our annoyances disappeared.
The village: Charming.
The gorge: Uh-maz-ing.

Cheddar Gorge is Britain's largest gorge at 450 feet high. Although tickets for the site almost 19 pounds, each pass allows you access to two caves, a lookout tower, a three mile gorge walk, and an open bus top tour. Because there is so much to see, each ticket is valid for 10 years! 10 YEARS! Anything you don't get to see on your first trip you can come back and do.

On this particular visit, it was cold and rainy, so  Elle and I opted to do Gough's Cave and Jacob's Lookout Tower only, saving the rest of our tickets for a possible revisit in the summer. Gough's Cave, complete with a rather hilarious audio guide, was absolutely stunning. We even managed to get a glimpse of Cheddar Man, Britain's oldest complete human skeleton! After a walk underground, we made the brave decision to climb the 274 steps up to the lookout tower. Believe me, it's no walk in the park, but the view from the top is absolutely amazing! We even managed to catch a little bit of sun!
Cheddar has easily become one of my favorite places in all of England. Although we braved it during the winter, I highly suggest a trip during the summer!

Happy Tuesday!
xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.