Oktoberfest | Fredericksburg, Texas

15 October 2015


Oktoberfest conjures images of beer, music, and lots of fun. I've always wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Germany, so when I heard there was going to be an Oktoberfest celebration in sleepy Fredericksburg, Texas I was eager to check it out. We arrived at the Oktoberfest grounds just after 10AM. Although early, we started our visit off with - you guessed it - beer! We were on vacation, and hell, it was Oktoberfest. The early morning sun was already hot, but that didn't stop us from exploring the rest of the festival. 

It was easy to see Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg was more of a family affair. Children ran around wearing flower crowns, bands played Jimmy Buffett, and there was even a chicken dance. To be honest, I wasn't really sure what we had gotten ourselves into. Fredericksburg has a long history of German culture. The city itself was founded my German emigrants  in the 19th century, and the German-Texas culture embodies every inch of town. However, I realized quickly that Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg was a reflection of Fredericksburg itself. Texan on the outside - German at heart.

We carried our beers from tent to tent, listening to German remixes of Texas country, watching people learn how to dance, and even trying a few greasy festival foods. Fredericksburg has a lot to offer, and the city's Oktoberfest was like no other. Do I still want to experience Oktoberfest in Germany? YES. But seeing an American version of this popular celebration was interesting and tame, yet still fun. 


Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg wasn't exactly what I had imagined, but I'm still glad I went!

Happy Thursday!
xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.