Houston Zoo Lights

16 December 2015


Getting into the holiday spirit this year has been a difficult task. Last year, I was celebrating in England, a country where 'magic' just seems to fall off the trees as easily as the leaves fall during winter. I've traded my winter coat for a light sweater. My boots are collecting dust in the back of my closet. Christmas in Texas has not come this year for me. That was, until I visited the Houston Zoo Lights. 

On one of the very few 'cold' nights this year, my mom took me out to the Houston Zoo for an evening of lights, music, and festivities. I was skeptical at first, thinking the event was geared towards kids. I was so wrong. As soon as we walked in the familiar Houston Zoo entrance I was amazed. Thousands of lights, dancing to the beat of Christmas songs, stretched out as far as I could see. I couldn't help but take a million and one pictures, so grab a cup of tea and enjoy the beauty the zoo has to offer!


The trail leads around the entire park. As we wandered around the thousands of sparkly lights, I couldn't help but wonder how the Christmas spirit effected the animals. Christmas lights, shows and music everywhere. Was this disturbing them at all? So I did a little research. 

Zoo lights are pretty common across the country during the holiday season. With most animals hibernating for winter and the others all tucked into their warm burrows and caves, the lights themselves don't really bother the animals at all. Trails are places strategically to disturb the animals the least. The only animals I saw during my entire visit were a couple of flamingos and a few giraffes (who were enjoying the warmth of their indoor barn). The main attraction to the zoo lights are the lights themselves!


The best time to visit is right when the light display goes up. The closer to Thanksgiving, the better. As December progresses, the crowds only grow. Avoid the family crowds by going late, 7:30 - 9:00pm is the perfect time. Tickets are kind of pricey, but help the care of all the animals at the zoo.


With a hot cup of coffee in my hand, and lights twinkling down from the trees above, the zoo lights were the perfect thing to get me into the Christmas spirit! What is something you have done this year to get you into that holiday mood??

xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.