3 Years of Blogging | What I Have Learned

06 June 2016


Another year, another blogiversary! 

Three years is a long time to be doing something consistently! I've had my ups and downs with blogging over the years, but in the end this little corner of the web really does mean so much to me. Being able to write about what I love and actually have people read it, well it's kind of an amazing gig! 

So for my third blogiversary I decided to do one of the most "blogger-y" things I could think of to commemorate the occasion: I went out and bought myself a $12 balloon. This balloon and I went on a little adventure and found ourselves at Sugar and Cloth's #ColorWall (aka a blogger hotspot in Houston this summer). Despite the clouds it turned out to be a perfect day for a little photo shoot. 


So what exactly have I learned? To be honest, I could probably write for hours on what I have learned about blogging over the last few years. Sure, there are plenty ins & outs that every blogger should be aware of. It's only natural to want to see your work progress and your blog grow. However, this blog has never really been a space for "How To". Instead I'm going to offer you three pieces of advice that I personally think are essential to being successful in the blogging world. 

1 | BLOGGING IS A HOBBY, NOT A JOB
Well, for most of us at least. For the rest of us peasants we get by writing about what we love and occasionally make a dollar or two. Trust me, it is okay to blog just because you love it. However, when blogging DOES begin to feel like a job the best thing to do is step back. Over the years I have taken countless "blogging breaks" when writing started to feel like a chore. The minute you begin treating your blog like a job and not a passion, your readers will notice. 

2 | QUALITY OVER QUANTITY 
This piece of advice really ties in with the first. I have always heard that the best way to grow your blog is by staying consistent. If you have the energy to post every single day, great! However, never sacrifice quality for quantity. On average, I post at least twice a week. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. I base everything around the quality of the content I'm willing to publish. I have written COUNTLESS posts that ended up in the trash. Figure out a schedule that works for you, but never post just for the heck of it. 

3 | FIND YOUR VOICE
No one wants to read a blog that spits facts out at you, nor does any one want to read about your night out with your friends. Blogging is a place where you can share your own experiences in a way that might benefit others. Find the things that you love and share them with the rest of the world. Let your voice be heard. 

 Balloon fail. 

And here's a bonus piece of advice: Numbers don't always matter! Success is in the eye of the beholder. As long as you are doing something you love, the work you put in will produce the results you want to achieve. How's that for some blogging motivation? 

xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.