On the Bookshelf | 2016 Part III

06 October 2016


I've read some pretty amazing books as of late. I found it extremely difficult to rate this bunch as I enjoyed them all immensely. However, some I enjoyed as entertainment while others I found to be flat out beautiful. All in all, you can't go wrong with a single one of these books. 

SWEETBITTER | Stephanie Danler 
4/5
Living in New York City is completely different than experiencing it. Tess moves from a small town to the city to find whatever it is New York has to offer. Working as a backwaitress, she learns a side of New York she had never imagined. Fine food, fascinating people, and exceptional wine. Yes, lots of wine. This book is beautiful, but real. I enjoyed every page and recommend this more than any other book on the list. 

THE GIRLS | Emma Cline 
4/5
Evie falls headfirst into one of California's most infamous cults. Too young to know any better, she is drawn in by the freedom and love the family has to offer. Attaching herself to one of the older girls, Evie is blind to the violent path the cult is about to take. This book captures the essence of cult culture fascination. Focusing on the female voices of the cult, this novel creates a narrative for those who blindly follow cults and their leaders. 

NERVE | Jeanne Ryan
3/5
Kids doing stupid dares for fame and fortune? Sounds about right. When Vee decides to join the online world of Nerve, where dares are broadcasted live on the internet, things turn ugly. I enjoyed this book for it's entertainment value. A quick read (I finished it in a single evening), Nerve provides a not so far fetched plot of what could happen when the internet starts to control us. 

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD | JK Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany
5/5
Ah, Harry. It's been awhile, hasn't it? Harry Potter may have grown up, but the magic and mayhem that surrounds him, Hermonie, and Ron are still there. I found it extremely difficult to immerse myself in the play format, but after a few pages I finally seemed to get the hang of it. Meant for the stage, the published play is by no means a 'sequel' to the Harry Potter book series. However, once you come to understand it for what it is (a PLAY), then you can truly enjoy it. 

BLOOD SISTERS: THE WOMEN BEHIND THE WARS OF THE ROSES | Sarah Gristwood
3/5
If you follow along with my reading updates, you may know that I tend to read quite a lot of medieval history books. I was thrilled to find a history book that focused on my favorite women players of the Wars of the Roses. However, this book lacked originality. Having read almost every book on the era, I found this book to be repetitive to other popular works out right now. 

THE MUSE | Jessie Burton
4/5
Jessie Burton's The Miniaturist was one of my favorite reads of 2015. I had high expectations for The Muse. A painting is rediscovered, but it is not the painting that puzzles Odelle, it is the painting's mysterious history. Where did it come from? Why had it been hidden away for so long? Although Odelle sets out to find these answers, the answers more or less find her. 

DEADWAKE | Erik Larson
4/5
Not many people can read historical non-fiction. However, Erik Larson has perfected the art of readable history. The sinking of the Lusitania is a common topic in history classes, however the details of its journey are often overlooked. Larson presents a beautifully written piece that follows the journey of the Lusitania from departure to its eventual sinking.

BOSWORTH 1485 | Michael Jones
4/5
I had been eager to get my hands on this book for awhile now. The Battle of Bosworth was a specific event I wrote about in my Masters dissertation and there aren't many works that discuss the battle alone. While Jones' depiction focuses on the themes leading up to the battle, he provides a clear picture of both sides. 

MODERN ROMANCE | Aziz Ansari 
3/5
How does one even begin to date in the modern age. Aziz Ansari sets out to find the answers. A surprisingly hilarious, yet educational, study on modern romance. 

THE GATES OF EVANGELINE | Hester Young 
3/5
This book had me by the cover. I know, terrible. But anything set in Louisiana is bound to grab my attention. Charlotte is hired to write a book on one of the most infamous unsolved cases of the 20th century, the disappearance of Gabriel Deveau. As she investigates the family and their secretive past, Charlotte begins to discover there is more going on in the swamps of Louisiana than she originally thought. This is a good read to fill that gapping hole after reading The Girl on the Train or Gone Girl. 

BLOGGER RECOMMENDS: Sweetbitter & The Girls

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

This blog is a positive space. I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel may be offensive.